I just discovered a weird bug in Trados Studio 2017, and it may cost me 1-2 working days!
I started using Trados Studio 2017 (and got it in trial mode mid November 2016. On December 14, when some 2-3 days remained of the trial period I decided to activate my copy. Everything worked fine. Since my license was for the “Starter” edition, I had to choose 5 languages I want to work with, but that’s OK.
Today I needed to work, so I started the program. And it tells me: License expired!
My online account at SDL, though, still shows that I got one license, which was activated on Dec 14. Therefore I’m not allowed to reactivate with the same code, on the same computer, since that license is “already in use” according to SDL.
I’ve filed a ticket to SDL, this may cost me 1-2 days, since I haven’t paid for premium support.